In 21 years of breeding goldens, we have come across many situations.  We've always known, the longer we breed, there will be more new situations to deal with.  I am on several breeder forums and read about the different experiences breeders go thru - we have many more to experience.  There was another first this past week.  Juno was about 5 weeks pregnant - seemed to show all the signs of carrying pups - starting Wednesday she refused her dog food....she always has a big appetite so this was a surprise....Morning sickness wasn't out of the question....she was also drinking more.  Thursday was a repeat, however she would eat whatever food I brought her, as long as it wasn't dog food.  She continued to go on our daily walks - a bit slower, but eager to go, tail wagging.  Not much different Saturday - just a step slower.  Saturday, her eyes were very red....this did not seem like morning sickness.  Sunday night I called the emergency vet and shared all her symptoms and my suspicion that she may have pyrometra.  Vet didn't think she needed to be seen that evening - not life threatening - but to have her checked the next day.  She was lying in a pool of liquid in the morning - the room had the familiar smell of birthing.  My thought was that she had aborted the pups - packed her up in my vehicle and called the vet on the way to the clinic.  She did a vaginal swab which showed some bacteria, but nothing alarming.  She had a slight temperature; bloodwork showed minor anemia - nothing conclusive. with elevated white blood cels.  While we were waiting for another test, she started oozing red smelly pus - that confirmed that she had pyrometra.  - most likely open because is was now coming out.   After some deliberation I chose a medical treatment as opposed to a spay, understanding that if she didn't improve, a spay would be mandatory.
This was a huge decision - not wanting to compromise Juno's health, and yet still wanting to have her in my breeding program.  I left her in the vet's care....received an update the next morning that her white blood cell count was even higher - a spay was necessary.  I drove to the clinic  just before lunch to give Juno some reassurance - my visit was twofold - to give her a reason to fight or in the worst case scenrio, a final goodbye.     By 2 pm I got the call that she had done well through surgery and was just waking.  Vet was happy with how it went.  She confirmed that there were no pups in the uterous - just a lot of pus.    The next day the update was not good - Juno had chewed off her intravenous line and was not doing well.Her temperature was 36 degrees celsius - dangerously low - heading towards septic shock.   They put a cone on her and hooked p her intravenous again.....later in the day the next update still was not was thinking her immune system was overactive - working against itself.  She intervened by giving a prednisone (steroid) shot - temperarily stopping her immune system....basically doing a reset.   Vet checked on her that evening and could see that her intervention worked.  Bright eyes - met her at the door - trotted around outside.  So this morning the update was the best news I could get - she ate all her food....she could come home!  After being touch and go for 3 days, this was such a relief.

Her white blood cell count was still high, however everything else was pointing to a dog that was feeling better and on her way to recovery.  She is now at home with meds.  Will need to keep her quiet for about a week, which she will find very boring.  Fingers crossed that there will not be any setbacks - still do not feel we are out of the woods, but at least we have hope.  Juno is my Junebug...the sweetest temperament, very affectionate, a bit stubborn, great mother, great friend to Gloria and Blanka. If anything changes I will update this post.  No news will be good news!